Grocery shopping will never be the same.
So I finally bought a book about the food allergies. There are just too many variables going on here. A "friend" feels the need to argue with me about everything and she brought up a very interesting point. I was giving Jack pizza dough because he like it so much. He is so allergic to milk, that if you eat a dairy product and touch him, he gets hives. Well, what was I thinking that if I take the cheese off it was OK? He seemed to do Ok with it I guess. Looking back, he wasn't OK with it. He gets up each and every night still and I don't know why. It wears on the nerves a little. I find out that now, he can not eat anything at all from a restaurant. They just can not be trusted with a milk, egg, peanut allergy. There is milk everywhere, and if there isn't milk, then there is egg. I was making my own meatballs with store bought bread crumbs. The stupid bread crumbs have milk in them. I bought Jack some "Organic Crunchin' Blocks" and it has a kosher symbol with a "D" next to it. It doesn't list anything in the ingredients about milk, but somewhere lurking there IS indeed dairy. This is much harder than I anticipated. I find that I am getting increasingly jealous of all the mammas giving their babies yogurt, and milk and cheeseburgers. I wonder why people feel bad that he can't have ice cream. He doesn't even know what he is missing and probably wouldn't eat it anyway because he hates anything cold. I never really wonder "Why me?", but I do wonder if it will be that much harder in the years to come. I look at the world differently now. When people feel the need to touch my child, I want to say to them "What is on your hands? What have you eaten since the last time you washed? Could you please take this wipee and wipe your hands first." Of course, that isn't always reasonable. I wonder about the apples in store and the railing that he wants to touch. Not so much for the germs, but the particles of dairy that may cause him to have an anaphylactic reaction and force me to use my EpiPen. I am glad I bought the book. It is very helpful in getting these ailments under control like a constant stuffy nose and eczema, or just plain misery. On the other hand, I am in for a long, long, road! Thanks for reading!

2 Comments:
Sandy--
This sounds really hard to deal with! Good for you about reading up on it. Are there any support groups you could join?
Poor little guy! Luckily, you're looking out for him.
Tess
P.S. Your blog looks fine--this entry comes up on the main page. Did you hit "refresh"?
That must be so tough. I was just reading a debate about PB in schools and imagining how hard it must be for the parents of little ones with FA. The struggle between keeping them protected, and sacrificing hundreds of wants for the needs of one. The parents who don't understand frustrate me to no end.
Bless you for hanging in there! It will get better because someday Jack will be able to identify the allergens himself. The people who around him frequently will learn how to take care if problems arise. It'll be ok!
Sorry so long...
Post a Comment
<< Home